Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tool 8 Taking a Look at the Tools

After watching the video about using iPod Touches, I learned that I can set up a free iTunes account in order to download apps to use in the classroom.  One question that I immediately had, since I am sharing 2 iPod touches with 2 other teachers, is will we set up one account or 3 in order to sync to the same devices.

I also learned that you can move apps onto other pages to make others that you don't want to use less available. There can be up to 11 pages of apps on the device.  I learned you can download music and movies (like Discovery Education) as well.

I appreciated the videos, but they are very hard to see.  When I enlarged the screen, it is very unclear.  I would have liked to have followed along a little better with the voice because I am a visual learner.

Because we are sharing devices, I'm not sure if the devices will be stored in my room or another special ed teacher's room.  Since I have small groups all day, I think that I will probably manage getting the devices out and ready because I may be having to go get them from the other teachers' classrooms.  The management piece we will have to figure out is how to manage a check out system or a schedule for their use.

Arlene just showed us some iPod touch station cards in which a teacher puts icons for the apps on a card as options for the students in a station.  I think that I would more likely be choosing a particular app for a very specific purpose that goes with individual or small group instruction for that day or week.  

2 comments:

  1. You will sync to one computer so I would suggest that you create a Resource Department email account and one iTunes account. Having one person manage this part would be best and I would also suggest you follow the district approved list for ideas for apps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet again, it is something that will be useful and helpful for the children and yet more frustrating for us. I am thinking of purchasing my own i-pod touch should I find it very useful. This way we won't have to do the sharing thing and having to dance around each other's schedules. I like to have it available as needed, not scheduled only time.

    ReplyDelete