Friday, May 27, 2011

Tool 5


Making this Wordle was soooo much fun!  I typed in sentences about the story Flight of the Phoenix that my 5th grade students are reading.  The words that you use the most show up the largest.  I think this would be a very useful and motivating tool for my students.  I would like to see them typing in summaries of chapters in their books.  


This is a project that I made to introduce the book Flight of the Phoenix to my 5th graders.  I used images from the book as well as real images that depicted one of the settings in the story.  The images show some of the characters and sketches that the main character made during the course of the book.  I was able to choose music that sets the mood for adventure.  The students asked me to replay the video several times.  After we watched, we listed what we saw in the video and made predictions about the story.  I will definitely use this tool again!  



Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! When we were working tonight I didn't even catch that this was on the Nathaniel Fludd series. I hope you will allow me to use this next year with another reluctant reader group-it is great! I am so glad you joined us today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Vicki! Take a step further with your Wordle summary and ask your students about the words that stand out the most. This could lead to main idea or the gist of the summary. Nice!

    ReplyDelete